well actually i have a couple examples here on deviant art. there's the poison ivy print, a conan piece and amidala piece. these cover the initial sketch, pencil drawing, under painting, final painting and photo shop. but like a lot of painters i'm on it about 70% of the time. the other 30% i am hit or miss. and i'm referring to choices made on the palette and application of paint-thick, thin, wash, dry etc. but sometimes in that crazy 30% things happen which i didn't expect. this can be frustrating at times but it also leaves room for mystery and growth. you know the artists journey and all that.
I did see your examples. I am on the part of the artistic journey with a day job. Trying to break into it full time, So some days I don't have much time to play around with the watercolors and gouache. So I try to learn more and find ideas to play around with. Your work always inspire a spark in me. I need to master that 30%, getting better but still kicking my ass. I was wondering if you could list some of the materials you use. I saw you use Hoblien ink (I love that stuff, just like tar!) Just curious on the paints and brushes you use. Any information is like a jewel to me, thanks again. Any chance of an art book form you next year as well?
well i also use holbein gouache and watercolors. for most of the painting process i use cheap brushes except for a few nice ones for inking and painting with watercolors. get a nice 1" flat brush for watercolors. also scharff makes great brushes for inking. i recommend the size 4 round for getting excellent feathering and line work. if you have the money get golden acrylics. i also like liquitex. i've painted on plywood, found surfaces like doors and closet doors. however most of the time i use watercolor illustration board- preferably strathmore or arches. if you want to learn about color choices and you don't have a lot of time, do a painting in b/w. you'll have all the textures of a real painting and then you have the freedom to try out many different color choices as well as value choices with photoshop. i'm working on a new sketchbook for next year and also a color art book. i will definitely advertise here as soon as they're ready.
Thanks for the tips on the materials. I do have the added bonus of my day job at an art store. I have never tried that brush out though, the Scharff. I have mainly schminckes watercolor, some holbien and Lukas watercolors. Lukas makes amazing red and pretty cheap. Then I go that Holbein acryla gouache. I like them but got a lot of learning ahead of me. I have never thought of painting on wood though. That black and white is a great idea and something I will try out. Great to hear about the books soon. Thanks again for the advice, it means a lot for you to take a second out of your day.